Electric Mountainboard Build Part 3: Taking Stock


So a month's gone by, and almost everything has arrived. The only things remaining are the motor mounts and board itself, which kind of bottlenecks everything. Meanwhile, let's take a look at the current changes for the board and parts that have arrived.

For the previous part, click here!

Core Board

The core board is unchanged, with the MBS Comp 95 "Birds" complete as the base board. It however is backordered, and isn't expected to arrive in at least two weeks. This is the main bottleneck, as I can't really do any measuring or test fitting until it arrives.

Drivetrain

Chain and sprockets

The drivetrain has been finalized. The motor mounts will be the Boardnamics Matrix II Mounts, which I have ordered. I have also finalized on chain drives, as the Boardnamics gear drives are still a ways away. The sprockets I have purchased on Amazon, and I have gone with a 10T motor sprocket and 62T wheel sprocket. It might be slightly slow for my liking though, so I am also thinking about supplementing it with a 15T motor sprocket later on for road use. The wheel sprocket needs to have the mounting holes drilled in, but I am waiting until I receive the actual wheels to finalize the hole locations. In the meantime, I have designed and printed a jig to help me find the correct centers for center punching.

For motors, I got the Flipsky 190kv 6374 motors. The KV is slightly higher than I would have liked, but I am able to compensate it with lower gearing.

Electrical

Everything that comes with the uBox

The ESC I picked was the Spintend uBox, which was useful for me because it had many components already integrated into the ESC. On initial inspection, the quality of the ESC is pretty good, and the remote is way more feature rich compared to my old Hobbywing remote, despite the same overall design. 

Wires for the battery and loopkey

For batteries, I was able to find the Tattu 14Ah 6S batteries on sale by a forum member at the old price, which made it a no brainer. They were also able to reconnect the batteries to XT90 instead of the old XT150, which made it easier for me to charge and connect. They should arrive next week, and once those come in, I will be able to test the motors and ESC. These are connected using two SkyRC XT90 Series Connectors, which also allows me to connect a loopkey using the supplied XT90S from the uBox. The downside is that they use 12AWG wire, and I really wanted 10AWG for better amperage. It will have to do for now, but they will need to be replaced in the future. I also got a larger LiPo bag to store the batteries in when not in use or charging, which is always nice to have for safety.

Hardware

Apache 1800, a no nonsense weatherproof box

The battery enclosure is an Apache 1800, a Pelican clone from Harbor Freight. It was heavier than I had expected, but the quality seemed good for the price. One downside is that the pressure release valve had a very long screw, which pokes into the box. That will be trimmed down, since there's no point of that valve for my purposes. Also, the theoretical dimensions should fit the battery, but I won't know for certain until I get the actual batteries in my hands.

Junction box, with ESC for scale

The ESC enclosure is a Zulkit Junction Box, which works pretty well to contain the ESC and protect it from the elements. It's wider than I need, which could potentially cause some problems with wheel clearance, but had I gone for the next size down, it wouldn't have been long enough, which is worse. It leaves plenty of space for extra wires and components, as well as the switch. It's also tall enough for me to add extra thermal mass on the bottom if necessary, as the ESC currently isn't ventilated. I may try figuring out ways to introduce airflow without letting in water and dust.

What's Next

That's almost all the components of the board. There's only a few small things here and there that I will need, but I will wait until the the board arrives before I order those. Of note, I still need a way to connect the two enclosures together, and I need Dual Lock to affix the components onto the board. This really is a waiting game, and I'm looking forward for all the components to arrive so I can get started!

For the next part, click here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Detailed Breakdown of the Nerf Hammershot

Designing the SE Berm

Modding the Nerf Rapidstrike - A Budget, 16DPS Build